----------------------
Concern Network Archive

Wake Forest Baptist AirCare - Non-injury incident

Date: 6/22/2015 0800 EST

Program: Wake Forest Baptist AirCare
	Medical Center Blvd
	Winston Salem, NC 27157

Type: EC 135
Tail #: N243AM
Operator/Vendor: Air Methods

Weather: Clear. Not a factor

Team: Pilot, flight nurse and flight paramedic. No injuries reported. Patient on board.

	The flight crew responded to an officer that had been shot and law
	enforcement still involved with trying to close in and detain the
	assailant. We were told that area was a "hot zone", but the LZ was
	secure. Our crew landed, retrieved the patient safely at the LZ and
	lifted without apparent incident. It was not until hours later they
	were informed that during the approach, the assailant was firing at
	the aircraft with an assault rifle. Fortunately, no bullets struck the
	helicopter and our crew is fine.

	Although there are a lot of uncontrollable parts to our missions,
	safety is one that we should always strive to take an active role in.
	Although an LZ may be safe in these types of scene runs, the approach
	and departure paths may not be. If we have any scenes where we receive
	information that alerts to potential gunfire or damage to the aircraft
	during flight operations (i.e. "hot zone," standoff, hostage
	situation, or anything that raises similar concerns), we ask that you
	specifically inquire from the LZ commander if there are potential
	unsafe air spaces over the scene and request secure approach and
	departure directions if needed. If you cannot get a confirmed safe
	zone to fly, coordinate for an alternate LZ.

Source: Wesley Lockman, RN, BSN Interim Program Manager

The CONCERN network shares verified information to alert medical transport
programs when an accident / incident has occurred. Please share the above
information with your program staff. If you have further questions, please
contact the CONCERN Coordinator, David Kearns at 800 332 3123 or email:
coordinator@concern-network.org.

Copyright 2014 ASTNA