----------------------
Concern Network Archive

Flight For Life - Non-injury incident

Date: 10/07/2015 0135 CDT

Program: Flight For Life
	2661 Aviation Road Waukesha, WI 53188

Type: EC-145
Tail #: N184WK
Operator/Vendor: Air Methods

Weather: Clear. Not a factor

Team: Pilot, Flight Nurse, Flight Paramedic. No injuries reported. No patient.

	In the early morning hours of October 7, 2015 our Waukesha aircraft
	was en route to pick up a patient at a referring hospital.  While in
	flight utilizing NVGâ??s the flight medic in the co-pilot seat
	visually saw a bird strike the upper portion of the wind screen.  The
	flight medic felt something fall striking his hand and arm inside the
	cockpit however the wind screen stayed intact.  All flight controls
	remained intact and no issues with control of the aircraft were noted.
	 With no loss of controls and the gauges reading normally the PIC and
	crew made the decision to abort the mission and return to the Waukesha
	base for further inspection of the aircraft.  The aircraft was able to
	land safely back at base.  Our Communications Center activated our
	PAIP and contacted the next closest HEMS to pick up the patient.

Additional Info:
	Initial inspection of the aircraft back at base by the PIC found the
	aircraft had encountered a bird strike to the upper portion of the
	co-pilot wind screen.  The on-call mechanic was contacted to come and
	inspect the aircraft. No outward damage to the aircraft was found. The
	internal sunscreen was found to have some small cracks and chips out
	of it. It was elected to move into the backup aircraft until a
	complete inspection could occur in the morning. After a full
	inspection was completed the aircraft was placed back into service
	later that morning.

Source: Jim Singer Transport System Director

The CONCERN network shares verified information to alert medical transport
programs when an accident / incident has occurred. Please share the above
information with your program staff. If you have further questions, please
contact the CONCERN Coordinator, David Kearns at 800 332 3123 or email:
coordinator@concern-network.org.

Copyright 2014 ASTNA